Civil Rights Watch

If you don't know, you better find out. And if you know, you better tell somebody

My Photo
Name:
Location: Southeast, United States

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sensory Deprivation: My Ipod, My Shield

I live in New York City. It is LOUD. I mean, really really loud. New York is also an extremely public city inasmuch as the majority of one’s life is lived in full view of the public. To someone who has spent most of her life in cities where peaceful isolation in the imagined privacy of a car is the norm, and where maintaining a respectful distance from strangers is expected, New York’s public transit stranger-press-fest is a new and jarring experience. Here, people of all ages, sizes and backgrounds sit, stand and climb on top of each other in an effort to get from place to place. Often, there are singers, musicians, children selling candy and panhandlers vying for your attention and money. Usually, there is a group of two or more people talking, laughing or even singing to each other in “outside voices.” Along the streets we are jostled by other pedestrians and assaulted by horns, sirens, construction and more loud conversation.

Enter the ipod, Apple’s portable, handy-dandy, fashion-conscious, uber-trendy mp3 music player. Armed with an ipod and a magazine, a New Yorker can reconstruct some of her lost privacy and access some of her drowned-out thoughts. My ipod provides auditory isolation and respite from a loud, invasive city. It also supplies a peppy soundtrack for a busy life spent hop-bopping down the street from one avenue to the next.

But the other day, my ipod gave me pause. I was sitting on the subway engrossed in a magazine and wrapped in “Pink Cashmere” by Prince. As the train pulled into the stop, I heard a faint cry over Prince’s sweet love song, “Please, have a heart…” Looking back over my shoulder as I stepped off the train, I saw a small forlorn-looking woman holding an empty cup pleading with passengers for change. I hadn’t noticed her because I had shut myself off from my surroundings in hope of finding some afterwork peace of mind.

I felt oddly guilty, like I had cut myself off from humanity. I can accept choosing not to give to every supplicant, but I could not accept that I had purposely walled myself off from the supplicants in an escapist sensory orgy. How can I purport to be someone who cares about the welfare of everyone if I cannot be bothered to hear them?

"I can't have a heart," I thought, "my song is on." Even a bleeding heart needs time to heal.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, girl. I find my greatest challenge is to make eye contact and smile even if I'm saying no (so much harder than making eye contact and smiling if you're saying yes!) But I think the most dehumanizing thing must be all those people passing you and acting like they don't see you. I wonder if you start to feel invisible after a while. I want them to at least know I see them, even if I can't meet their request.

And of course I simultaneously loathe and adore my dad for his advice on such matters: "The Bible says give to all who ask. What they do with the money is between them and God. Whether or not you give is between you and God."--Daisy

10:51 AM  
Blogger Shady Sam said...

I never really noticed how loud NYC is. (Been here my whole life.) A few years ago I started working with someone who transferred from Lehigh Valley, PA. Really rural. She was almost shell shocked from the noise her first few weeks and would arrive early, leave late and NEVER go out during the day. When I'm out of the city the silence is as palpable as the noise is here.

Good post.

11:03 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Funny, I had almost the same experience the other day. I walked to work for a few days with no ipod and was accosted by this man who kept yelling that he had gotten a job that started monday, so every day was a countdown for "how long I'll be standing here asking for your help." He seemed fairly crazy, so I'd smile and then shuffle past quickly. Then on the 4th day or so, I took my ipod on the walk and felt this wave of relief when I could walk by him and not have to acknowledge him at all.

I got down the block and then felt like a piece of shit. Why did it kill me to have to smile at him? Daisy is right. It is so much harder to say no and smile. But being made to feel invisible is terrible.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just today, here's a small sampling of the noises that interfered with telephone conversations on my high-floor Manhattan apartment:

- traffic noise
- jackhammer (starts around 7:30am or so)
- upstairs neighbor on pogo stick
- fireworks (practically fired at the building)

Yup, it's noisy.

And maybe I'm just a bad person, but I pretty much ignore EVERYONE here. It has nothing to do with whether they are homeless, poor, whatever. If it's not someone I know, I can pretty much guarantee I'm not going to really see him. I see this as a pretty normal response to a ridiculous amount of stimulus.

Besides, if you pass someone on the street in NYC, odds are he's a jerk anyway.

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

be kind to strangers_unless they're trying to make a living off you instead of making a living for themselves.

i think we all want to help each other and feel good when we do, but, when someone is begging in front of a grocery store everyday or on the street in a spot that he has claimed as his place of business, i begin to wonder am i working to pay him?

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home